Thursday, February 24, 2011

Surfing Vietnam

Aloha Tribe,

One of my dreams is to surf in Vietnam. I dream to surf as much of the coast as possible. As such, I am hoping to learn as much about the Vietnamese culture and language as I can before I go. I am so stoked about this idea.

I'm not sure yet when I will be able to do this, but, if all works out, I'd love to go before the end of the year this year. Hopefully, for a few months.

Why Vietnam? Well, I guess there's many reasons. One is the bamboo board I'm making. It's still only in the beginning stages, but, it's coming along. My inspiration came from the famous Vietamese Bamboo Circus. I began walking bamboo about a year ago, balancing on long bamboo poles. That lead me to exploring and falling in love with Bamboo Single Pole Drifting which is where you float down a river while standing and balancing on a bamboo pole as you river surf along with the current.

This past Christmas, my focus and theme was on having a Vietnames Circus Christmas, so, I did. I had a variety of Vietnamese and  French food, my home was all decorated in Vietnamese circus gear such as tightropes, bamboo poles to balance on, juggling equipment of all kinds, silks, paper lanterns, jungle foliage everywhere, a unicycle, stilts, and, when all was said and done, my living room was transformed into a scene right out of a jungle performance of the Vietnamese Bamboo Circus. It was such fun and oh so beautiful.

I got a travel book or two on Vietnam, a few Vietnamese language books, some super maps, and, my dream of surfing Vietnam began to take shape. Sure, I"m a romantic, I freely admit that, I am, after all, a surfer, and as such we all, as members of the Tribe, are a bit of a romantic in our souls.

I am so stoked to meet some Vietnamese surfers, and, I can hardly wait to go. I want to see new places, surf exciting breaks, meet fun new friends, and, just smile and giggle with life.

My other dream for this year is to surf Gabon over in West Africa. And, the entire West Coast, or at least as much of it as I can, from Canada all the way down to Baja. I so hope to find some people who might want to go on that trip with me. I have the car, and tents, surfboards, and all the gear, now, I just need to find some feral surfers of like mind who want to take a few months off, traveling in my orange Baja Bug, surfing all day, playing ukulele's and chess all night, and just hanging talking story and lying about the waves we caught each day.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley


No comments:

Post a Comment