Sunday, March 13, 2011

Stealth Slacklining for Surfing Creativity

Aloha Tribe,

Slacklining or walking a slack rope is a great way to keep in shape for surfing. Personally, I love the rope, I love the way manilla feels, it's relatively easy to get, though webbing is easier to find in many places nowadays, and, it moves so nice. Besides, it looks good.

I've tried all different diameters of rope, and my favorite is 2" manilla, though, that's a bit hard to carry around, especially if you're thinking of using it for Stealth Slacklining.

So, get whatevers you can, preferably, something that will blend into the environment where you are. For the most part, Stealth Slackling is an urban sport that I've been working on. Basically, you simply carry some webbing or rope in a backpack, and set up quickly, anywhere in the city that looks ideal, preferably, in a spot that is rather illegal to be there. The idea, of course, is simply to have fun, but, by setting up your art, where you want to set your art up, it adds an element of artistic expression unbounded by conformity and rules.

Most if not almost all slackliners use carabiners for setting up their lines, but, as I have mentioned before, using my Primitive Slacklining System, namely, simply using knots, all you need is the webbing or rope which saves you weight and money, and, it adds an element of style to it since the primitive system is outside of the box of what everybody else does.

The idea here is to slackline in places that you'd skateboard. In other words, find anyplace that looks crazy, wild, and fun. Between two buildings if you're into highlinging, over water which is always fun and beautiful, between trees or lightposts, or even hooked up to cars, after all, why not? Between two boats or a boat and a dock is great fun, by the way, with the added challenge of the swaying boat or dock, you've got to try it!!!

Wear clothes that blend in. Use a slackline or rope that blends in, learn to tie your knots quickly, set up your line, and, do your art. No limits!!!

By doing Stealth Slacklining, you're like the surfers of yesteryear who had to sneak across private land to surf a break. Most of us conform too easily today, in our surfing, and, in our slacklining. Well, I say, cut the harness loose and run unbridled and you'll learn to free your art in ways open to new creativity and wild insight.

By doing Stealth Slacklining, the point is that you'll find new ways to express your art that you normally would not have even considered. For example, suspend your line at an angle uphill or downhill. Or set up a zigzag shaped line. Or maybe connect several lines or ropes together, creating a sort of spiderweb effect or like the spokes of a wheel so several of your friends can all walk interconnected lines simultaneously, which, adds a broader sense to your balance as you have to harmonize your movements with your friends, just like surfing on a Party Wave.

The point of this is not only to have fun but also to open yourself to new paths of creativity, which, then can be applied in everything you do, including in how you surf. In other words, learn to adapt the concepts of everything to your slacklining or balance arts of any type or surfing, and, you'll find yourself opening new envelopes of ingenuity daily.

Personally, for my Stealth Slackling, I prefer, black slacklines that I carry around in a black backpack. I guess it gives me a sort of catburglar kind of feel to my training that I find fun. When I was in Scotland, in Edinbourgh, I studied a bit about the guy who was the real Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He was a guy who was a thief. And, he often traveled on tops of the buildings. Now, I'm sure he didn't use ropes to tightrope on, but, that's one of the things I studies as I walked the streets their each night. It would have been so easy, in the old district where he plied his trade, to stretch a rope across the street at rooftop height on dark nights, to safely cross from one side to the other as a second story artist. It was fun exploring where to hang my ropes while I was there.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley


No comments:

Post a Comment