Saturday, September 17, 2011

Alaias and Paipo

Aloha Tribe,

I'm making three Alaias and one Paipo. Two of the Alais will be 8 foot long, one will be 5 foot. The Paipo will be 3 foot. Each is made out of a combination of redwood, red cedar, and yellow cedar. For waterproofing them, I am using a combination of coconut oil, macadamia nut oil and ashes and mud. I'm particularly stoked about my little 5 footer. Oh, and, the more common natural way to finish your boards and waterproof and protect them is with Linseed Oil but I simply chose to go with the more traditional method that I've also used on my Chinese Bamboo Poles.

I'm hoping to use the Alaias and Paipo  on Oahu's North Shore, but in the meantime, it's to the Wilds, Tentacles, and maybe Number 9's. I'll also be hitting the local rivers around here of course.  And, as you all know, Alaias and Paipos don't have leashes or fins so they'll be great for my favorite style of surfing,  riding Slidding Ass.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment