Sunday, August 22, 2010

Silver Surfer Training Camp!!!

Aloha Tribe,

Hey, so, I had a way totally fun idea. Okay, sure, silly, but, fun too. I'm going to create a Silver Surfer Training Camp for improving my surfing.

My inspiration, of course, comes from complete collection of  the Marvel  Superhero The Silver Surfer comic books. I even have "baseball" type cards of him, statues and figurines, t-shirts, and, sure, this is nurdy, but I have a Silver Surfer pillow case on my pillow too. Hobbies, goodness.

At any  rate, my thought for my training camp was that the Silver Surfer is more or less always on his surf board or, at the very least, he has it with him or very close.

So, I figured, with someone like him, pretending of course he truly existed, he must be the greatest of all surfers since he's always surfing. And that's when the lightbulb went on.

I'd set up a Silver Surfer Training camp where, to begin with, I'd stay on my surfboard for 24 hours straight. If that works, I'd extend it into a full weekend, Friday evening through Sunday evening.

I have a NOHO Surf Trainer which when hooked onto my longboard allows it to wobble side to side as well as toward the nose or tail. You all should get a NOHO if you don't have one, by the way.

Well, hooking the NOHO onto my board, I can then get on my board and simulate surfing movements on a moving board. As such, I figured I'd spend the first 24 hours more or less living on the board. I'd do my yoga on it. Read my Silver Surfer comic book collection on it, for inspiration of course. Eat and drink on the board. And, sleep on my longboard too. Even taking care of bathroom needs really isn't a problem since I have one of those camping Lugable Loo portable toilet buckets that I can also set right up on my board for when I needed it.

Basically, I'd have all the stuff I'd need like food, water, the Lugable Loo, my comic books, and so on within arms reach of my board. Then, I simply grab what I need, while remaining on the surfboard. And, when it comes time to sleep, I simply, lay down on my board.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this after the 24 hours. And more so, if I can indeed do it for a full weekend too. It should be truly fascinating training, more so, rather fun and silly, and, what better way to relax and loosen up than to giggle at oneself's silliness, so, why not?

Oh, the other cool idea I had involving this is to bring my longboard and NOHO Surf Trainer outside and set it up on various angled hills I have in my yard where the board can point downhill, uphill, and even sideways on hills, all at various degrees of angle. Thus, while staying on the board in such situations, simulating, of course, The Silver Surfer as he flies through the universe to different galaxies with various levels of gravity and angles and such, I'll be actually practicing a form of extremely advanced Chi Gung training called Zhan Zhong or Stake Standing, only modified, of course, to fit my Silver Surfer idea, which, paradoxically, will help develop my body for ridiing various angled and sized waves, not unlike the concepts behind Drunken Style Kung Fu, actually, namely, that the body  grows or adapts to the changes put upon on it, thereby learning to adjust to seemingly unbalanced positions.

This should be fun. The only thing that would make it more fun would be to have a bunch of people to share the camp with. It'd be a lot of fun as a group sort of thing. Nerdy, sure, but fun!!!

Silver Surfer Graphic Novel Home Coming (October 1991) Wow, what a cover and what a cool surfing pose!!!

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment