Thursday, August 5, 2010

Siltarp2 for Surfers: A Great Surfer's Shelter

Aloha Tribe,

I love camping, and, since surfing, especially Vagabond Feral Soul Surfing involves traveling around quite a bit to exotic breaks, it's great to travel ultralight.

I've found a perfect shelter that works great for me as a wandering surfing. It's the Integral Designs Siltarp2. Basically, it's an ultralight ripstop nylon tarp, weighing mere ounces (about 14 oz.), yet, it repels rain and snow (it is a waterproof nylon), wind and blowing sand, and, for times when you want shade, it offers protection from the sun. It has loops on each corner, as well as every 2 feet, and, an additional loop in the center, so, it is easy to set up in any configuration you'd want or need. There is a center seam down the length of it, but it comes with a sealant called Silnet Seam Sealant so you don't have to worry about getting wet.

Mine is the 8' x 10' Siltarp2, in gray. I also have another one that is olive.

I love hammock camping, and, this tarp is perfect for stretching out above my hammock, giving me ample room to stand next to my hammock or sit, yet, at the same time remain beneath shelter. I also love the Siltarp2 simply as a shelter all by itself. You simply stake it out (I use titanium stakes, they're light weight), and, if you need to, lay a bedroll and sleeping bag beneath the tarp and you have a super shelter.

I know that not too many of The Tribe use shelters, but, why not? A simple, versatile shelter like this can go anywhere, takes almost no room or weight to carry, and yet, it offers so much. You can even change behind it if you're so inclined to privacy.

The tarp also comes in woodland camo, tan, and even yellow. My next one will definitely be the 8 x 10 woodland camo. I love that one. Had I known about it before, I'd have bought it first!!!

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment