Monday, January 4, 2010

Big Wave Surfing Warm-up

Hey Everyone,

This is the warm-up program  before my regular intense exercise I am enjoying doing every morning. I prefer doing it outside in the sand, even when it's cold and raining and blowing out (which is does a lot in the Pacific Northwest). I like to do these on top of balance disks if the sand is not shifting enough because it is too dry.  I find the balance disks add some nice core warming up to the exercises. I also try to do each of these exercises as smoothly, slowly, gracefully, softly, silently, and beautifully as I can, which adds to the challenge dramatically. Slowness is the true secret, I think  because it's a lot easier to do these fast since momentum then carries you through. By doing them very slowly, therefore, you have to earn each movement by paying for it in sweat.

1. 500 Sit Ups - one set  (sometimes up to three sets in a row)- my abdominal muscles are probably my strongest muscles.

2. 200 Push Ups - one set (this one was challenging the first time I tried it long ago and I  could barely lift my arms the next day). I'd like to get to 400 push ups per set but I'm not there yet.

3. 500 Leg Extensions - one set - this is  probably my weakest exercise and I need to increase my reps per set soon.

4. 500 Twisting Crunches - one set

5. 200 Leg Lifts from Back - one set

6. 200 Leg Lifts from Stomach - one set

7. As many Pull Ups and Chin Ups as I can - typically from ropes (from my loft), tree branches, an indoor pull up bar,  and my outside climbing wall on my garage. This is one of my strengths. I have brachiated (swing by my arms like a gibbon does - up to about 3 miles a day).

It takes about a half hour roughly (or more, depending on how much climbing type exercises I want to do). I like to  do the same routine (another half hour) as my cool down at the end of the day. Last night, I did a third set of everything about 2 A.M.

I find that for me, this is a nice way to get the blood circulating and, well, I find it fun to do. I do wish I knew what Professional Big Wave surfers did to work out though so I'd know if I was at least somewhere in the ballpark as far as training goes.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment