Thursday, January 21, 2010

Unusual Big Wave Training: Indo Board and Pick Axe

Aloha Tribe,

So, today, I practiced a rather unusual Big Wave Training method. At least, I'd imagine it to be rather unusual, if not, perhaps, the first time even.

I got out my Indo Board and set it up out by the trampoline where I had a large truck tire hanging on a manilla rope, tied to a log beam. Then, I stood on the Indo Board and swung a heavy pick axe at the tire. For, about an hour.

It was a truly intense workout. And from it, I gained a sense of balance in power and, power in balance.

Each swing of the pick axe naturally spun my body,  which, with the rebound from the swinging tire. the motion was rather unpredictable to a certain degree based on how perfectly the blow landed. This let me have the experience of balancing while feeling some unexpected force upon my body.

I truly loved this training session today. And, for sure I'll way do it again as part of my regular training. I'll add to it, perhaps this afternoon, another hour of pick axe training, this time, on my slackline, which is actually a 2 inch diameter manilla climbing rope. Swinging the pick axe on that will be even more challenging than on the Indo Board.

It's fun to practice balance in unusual settings. It helps me to train for the unexpected. Which, in Big Wave riding, could happen at any instant.

Another form of balance training I want to try this afternoon is to swing from a second manilla rope hung vertically  from the loft beam, then, let go of it and land balanced on my  horizontal slackline. This training should help me to get used to being very very light on my board and to recover balance extremely quickly.  It will truly offer precisioned focus in balance, timing, and accuracy of foot, arm, and body placement.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment