Thursday, September 16, 2010

50 M Swimming Sprint Muscles for Surfing

Aloha Tribe,

Upon reflection, it appears that as surfers, we need both fast twitch or anaerobic speed oriented type muscles, as well as slow twitch or aerobic kinds of muscles, depending upon where each of us typically surf, of course.

As for me, I surf mostly in the Pacific Northwest, namely, Washington mostly as well as northern Oregon. Yet, on occasion, several times a year when I can for, ideally, up to 4 months at a time, I like to surf Kauai and the North Shore of Oahu. And, of course, I dream of Mavericks.

I've read that Mavs can have up to an hour out paddle, so, I'm gearing myself for that on an aerobic level, focusing on ocean swimming in as wild of seas as I can, for as many hours as I can. I believe that such swimming in intense turbulent water builds both aerobic and anaerobic muscles.

Yet, that being said, this post is about overall body look, and I'm shooting for that female version of  Bruce Lee kind of look. Ripped, shredded, lean beyond all reason, while maintaining feminine flowing curves in the right places. This being the case, since Bruce focused on explosive speed training, I'm doing that too, only, in my case, it's with swimming and paddling my longboard laying down.

Sure, I could do SUP (Stand Up Paddle) and it can be done quickly, though, for most, I'd imagine it's more of a casual kind of paddling, leading more to aerobics than anaerobics. So, for paddling, I much prefer to lay down. This develops the proper surfing muscles, and, it can be done for speed and endurance, depending upon how one strokes.

All three books are GREAT and I highly recommend each of them!!!

I'm using three books to help me achieve my desired look. One is...

1. Steve Smith's Military Workout  Series: The Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue & Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer Workout by Steve Smith.

   With this book, I am studying a variety of training to be able to swim in wild and huge waves under any conditions.

2. Sprinting: A Coach's Challenge by  Samuel James Freas.

    This book is teaching me about how to swim really super fast, like lightning in the water.

3. Swimming Anatomy by Ian McLeod.

    And this book shows me exercises to develop specific muscles for various swimming strokes to achieve the proper look and strength.

Using these three books, I am transforming my body into that of a true Watergirl, with my goal of being capable of swimming in any sea conditions no matter the swell size,  to paddle into any surfing conditions on my surfboard, and, well, to look as cute as possible. Sure, the last one is just for fun, but, why not?

With this plan in action, I have chosen the 50 M Sprint to be my swimming length of choice. I believe that this distance with give me the proper power to be able to paddle into anything I'd hope to paddle into. I know the current limit is about a 30 foot face. So, I want to push myself with speed training to see just what I can do and if I can ever achieve this or, dreaming, even paddle into larger surf?

I think that speed paddling while laying down not only is great for catching waves more often but also, for getting out of the impact zone as quickly as possible as well as also being able to paddle up huge faces with confidence and proper timing.

The Fall is upon us and soon, huge swells will be hitting the Pacific Northwest, with up to 27 foot or triple overhead towering heights last Winter and early Spring. Where I surf, there seems to be few in the water in the Winter and early Spring, in fact, I typically was not only the only one in the sea but also the only one on the beach for miles around. Dangerous and silly, yes, but, my training called me to push myself. So, I shall do the same this year.

One of the training tools that DD (Darrick Doerner) has me doing for big waves is to bring a 2 to 3 foot diameter Swiss Ball into the ocean and the game is that I'm not allowed to let of of the ball. It teaches you to handle heavy impacts while getting tossed around, it teaches confidence, and, it's utterly wild. I'm looking forward to the swells getting big enough to train properly using this technique. For it too develops muscles like steel and ripped like cable. Of course, the next level, is to hold the ball beautifully and gracefully and with style, but that's yet to come. Maybe this Fall, if I am lucky, it's at least a goal of mine.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment