Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Slackline Yoga for Surfing

Aloha Tribe,

I love slacklines and slacklining. I suppose it comes from my years of studying Monkey Kung Fu where I spent a fair amount of time training on a 1 inch diameter manilla rope. In any event, slacklining, for those of you who don't know, involves standing and walking on a thin strip of mountain climbing webbing, typically about an inch wide or so. The line is attached between two supports such as trees, and hangs loosely, hence, slackline, as opposed to a tightwire, which, is not only a wire, but also incredibly tightly strung.

Because of the looseness of a slackline, it creates perpetual dynamic motion, which, applies perfectly to surfing. In fact, if you can walk a slackline, surfing seems much easier in comparision.

Now then, slackline yoga is doing yoga while dancing, walking, standing, sitting, and laying on a slackline.  As you can imagine, it is a wonderful way to work on balance, more so, it is a sport unto itself, just as slacklining is also.

So, I've been practicing today, sort of a flowing dance styled slackline yoga  for hours and hours where I flowed from position to position set to  music I have from the '60's such as Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Good Bye by Steam (one of my favorite songs and the song I play in my head while I surf and train for surfing).

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment