Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Slacklining, Tightrope Walking, and Balance Training

Aloha Tribe,

Today, I started a new phase with my Surfing Training. I'm focusing heavily on balance training, and as such, am using Slacklining and Tightrope Walking as well as other Balance arts to enhance my skills on my longboard.

So, here's my program...

1. Walking everywhere as though I'm on a Tightrope, namely, with one foot landing directly in front of the other in a straight line, the heel of the front foot brushing the toes of the rear foot with each step. In other words, each step I take, while going grocery shopping or whatevers, is along a line, like a crack in the sidewalk, a straight shadow of a building, or even just an imaginary line.

2. Headstands and Handstands with various leg positions and body positions.

3. Walking on metal pipes and tree branches of various diameters and heights. On the ground. A few inches high. Several feet high.

4. Walking railroad tracks. My goal here is to learn to walk up to 8 miles (for endurance and mental focus), which is the distance between two local towns here with unused railroad tracks.

5. Walking on hemp rope with a rustic log support frame.

6. Walking on Military Rappeling rope supported by 2 x 4 frames.

7. Finally, to learn to properly set up a wire and tension it safely for walking an actual tightwire.

8. Walking and balancing on rocks down by the creek.

9. Sitting on a Swiss Ball whenever possible.

10. Standing on various balance balls and disks while doing chores such as washing dishes, doing laundry, making the bed, brushing teeth and vaccuming and such. 

I'll try to do at least 3 hours a day of just Balance Training, as well as time spent on my NOHO Surf Trainer, and my Indo Board, and, of course, surfing as much as possible at every opportunity.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment