Friday, September 17, 2010

Trampoline for Slacklining Balance Training and for Truly Magical Flowing Surfing Training

Aloha Tribe,

Today was fun. I used a 14 foot trampoline and practiced my "slackline" walking steps on it. That is to say, while I didn't set up the actual slackline, I acted as though I had, and, found that the trampoline offered a similar kind of training resistance for balance training. With each step, the trampoline would jostle and bounce, offering wonderful training for my legs and balance.

As I walked, I stepped very very slowly, focusing on each step with total deliberation, as though I were hundreds of feet in the air. Such visualization makes the experience more authentic. As I'd step forward with my rear foot, thus, unweighting it, I'd move it out to the side, engaging my gluteus medius or the side buns muscle (in swimming, used in a major way for the breaststroke), and I'd hold my leg to the side, as though I were doing a sidekick in martial arts. I'd allow myself to sink into this position, standing on one foot, the other foot lifted as high as possible, in this case, about boobs high was the position that I held, and I'd hold the position for as long as it took to play a bit with the stance, perhaps, 20 seconds or so, simply for the muscular and balance training of it, focusing on deliberately letting the trampoline bounce and move as much as possible to increase the challenge.

I believe this training will DRAMATICALLY improve my slacklining and tightrope dancing skills, and thus, my overall balance, which, will make my surfing much more fluid and flowing. I can hardly wait to get into the water to see!!!

Tomorrow, I might try to get one or more of my friends to walk around and bounce on the trampoline randomly as I practice this exercise to replicate the unpredictable ripples of a wave as well as a swaying slackline. It should be grand fun.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment