Friday, July 2, 2010

Soul Surfing

Aloha Tribe,

Many wonder what Soul Surfing is. Basically, it's nothing more than surfing for the love of surfing. Sure, tons can be said about it such as how to get deeper into it, how to live it, how to perfect it and even turn it into a sort of physical art, but, really, when you get down to it, it's just about loving what you do. Truly loving it. And, that's the secret that I suspect many miss. Genuine passion. For many have lost touch with that, seeking it, in, their surfing and through surfing.

Can it be quantified? No, not really. Should it even be attempted? Of course not. Yet, there are ways to make the true appreciation deeper, which, provide a dramatically greater sense of love and stoke.

And, what is the key? Physical training is the root, mental training is the art. Just like, with Chi Gung.

Wai Chi or Wai Dan and Nei Chi or Nei Dan. First, physical. Then, mental.

Interestingly enough, neither path ever ends, for each, provides bottomless exploration and infinite depth of mastery upon mastery.

The secret to mastery? Why, mastery, of course. For, in the martial arts, as well as calligraphy and other similar disciplines, it is said that once one masters simply one thing, then, all things can be mastered. A much deeper reflection than simple perusal would suggest.

Before enlightenment, one surfs, for fun. After enlightenment, one surfs, for fun. It's really, that simple.

A surfing paraphrase of something the martial artist Bruce Lee said, is something to the effect of... Before I surfed, surfing was simply surfing. After I mastered surfing, surfing was no longer surfing. Now, that I understand the depths of surfing, surfing, is, simply, surfing.

All rooted, of course, in, fun.

Many professional surfers, sadly, lose sight of this, lost, in money and contracts and obligations.

My path toward Soul Surfing is leading me along the way of the Feral Surfer. I am training myself, under the guidance of DD, to travel the world as a Watergirl, a Feral Surfer with one board and one bag and nothing more. This path is quickly becoming my lifestyle. My way of life. My, path.

I have several boards in my quiver, one of them, my Feral Board. My 10' aqua green BK. At the moment, I have one sticker on it, besides the BK logo. It is a pink Hawaiian sea turtle, for my board is named, Honu. It is my Feral Board, and, as such, is a hippy girl board, so tomorrow, assuming it's not raining, I'll be sticking on numerous hippy stickers such as peace signs, daisy flowers, and perhaps a rock group sticker such as Hendrix or The Doors.

My board currently has a retro Bob Anderson 60's retro single fin on it.

I'm not sure of the perfect travel bag yet. I'm still searching. The challenge, I'm finding, is fitting all my travel gear into it, namely...

Tent

Sleeping Bag

Wet Suit plus hood, gloves, booties

Surf Wax

Surfboard Leash (though DD says I should learn to surf without one)

Fin Screws

Surf Fin Knife (screwdriver)

Toiletries

Extra Clothes... two t-shirts
                         extra shorts
                         travel skirt
                         flip flops

First Aid Kit

Matches

Mosquito Netting

and, other stuff to be determined.

Ideally, I want it minimalist. The ability to travel for weeks on end, preferably camping, using ultra-light camping gear and techniques.

My dream is to be an ultra-light Feral Surfer. As for money along the way? Well, cons and scams magic such as the Shell Game, Three Card Monte, Fast and Loose, and, of course, cardsharping. Naturally, there's always writing  and photography for the surf magazines too, if any want to follow the career of a gypsy girl Feral Soul Surfer about to travel the world!!!

Oh, and, the key thing I'll be doing, is using my chi gung to help and heal those in trouble or those who are sick or hurt.

Bodaciously  Stoked,

Lily of the Valley
                        
 
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment