Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Watergirl Surfer's Beachparty Cookbook!!!

Aloha Tribe,

So, I've been thinking. My trip is coming quickly. In, two or three days. In any event, up until just now, I've been planning on traveling ultralight. Keeping my total gear (hammock tent, cooking gear, sleeping bag, clothes, toiletries, miscellaneous accessories, and so on, including my wetsuit (all stuffed inside of my tiny less than  two pounds backpack), but not counting my board, at under 20 pounds.

But, today, I read a book. A cookbook actually. The Summer Shack Cookbook by Jasper White. And, it got me thinking about my Watergirl training in addition to my surfing training. After all, my quest is about both.

And, that got me thinking about meals. Now, here in the Pacific Northwest where I hang my board, I can go to my local break and surf it alone pretty much anytime day or night, and, if there are a few people out, I can, if I choose, simply drift down the beach a bit and have all the breaks I want totally to myself. Well, while that's all fun and great and quite possibly every surfer's dream, hanging with other surfers, talking story, and, yes, cooking and eating great meals freshly prepared from the sea, is part of the whole lifestyle too.

So, I might, might mind you, bring my cast iron three legged cooking pot with me. I hadn't thought of it until just now, since, it would make a lot of food, but, what better way to meet the local surfers on my journey than to feed them all some of the greatest food in their lives. For what could be better than fresh oysters, wild crab, freshly caught fish of all types, and seaweed so fresh it's still alive with energy!!!  all flavored with local flavors and cooking magic.

I had been thinking of writing a book of my adventures, figuring, up until now, it would be a surfing book. But, as of this moment, I might add a second book, in this case, a cookbook, too, a Surfer's Cookbook. Hmm, The Watergirl Surfer's Beach Party Cookbook.

Hey, it's a thought.

So, between sets, I simply harvest some seafood, then, prepare it in my pot for all to share.

If I do this, and, you happen to see a girl cooking over a large black cast iron cauldron, wearing a camouflaged string bikini, that, would be me. And, if so, welcome, come on over for some yummy food and talking story time.

I might just bring the cookbook with me. It could be an adventure. And, it most certainly would be fun reading at night.

Surfing is increasing in popularity daily, it seems. So, it's time to rekindle the surf party of yesteryear too. And, it seems to me, that can best be done with great seafood caught and harvested fresh daily from the ocean's bounty.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment