Friday, December 11, 2009

Pororoca: A Half Hour Full Moon Amazon River Tidal Ride

Hey All,

So, it's getting nearer to Christmas, and, as some of you know, I've been thinking a lot about the North Pole. And, of course, that got me thinking about adventures in general. And this adventure lead to that and here I am, contemplating the most excellent and perfect wave of all, Pororoca. It's a tidal wave that happens in the Amazon River twice a year, during the Spring rainy season, from what I understand, around the full moon, which, makes sense. It makes me wonder if there are some tide books of the mouth of the Amazon? I'll so have to check this. From what I know at the moment, the Amazon River is relatively flat for about 600 miles up from it's mouth, so that means the tides create a totally macking wave!!!

Now, I guess the record for riding this utterly bodacious wave is 37 minutes set by Picuruta Salazar. Wow, a 37 minute ride. How stoked does that make you!!!

So, to train for such a ride, now that would be a noble goal. Most surf rides are maybe about 10 seconds or so, which makes this a truly phenomenal and beyond imagineable dream. All the more reason to plan such an adventure, yes?

An interesting idea would be to SUP  or  better yet, paddle laying down (my prefernce) down the Amazon from somewhere until the wave was finally met, do a Paddle Out Reentry, and then ride to hell. Now, of course, if one really did it right, you'd come in from the west coast somewhere, hike the jungle (yes, with the longboard), get to the Amazon where it originates, and ride it to the wave. Why not? What could be a grander adventure? Sure, it would take a ton of planning and getting into shape, but just imagine the adventure of it. A year should about do, I'd imagine, to get ready.

I shall have to reflect upon this. The idea, fascinates me. I've been questing for an adventure. This sounds rather awesome.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment