Wednesday, February 24, 2010

NOHO Surf Trainer Surfboard Dancing

Aloha Tribe,

Well, if you've gone to the NOHO Surf Trainer site, you've probably seen the video of the incredibly fun song Ride My See-Saw by the Moody Blues.

I love to put that cd in my stereo, pull up that song, hit repeat, and play the song again and again as I practice my moves on my board, after all, the video so inspired me, it was truly brilliant, and it's such a great rhythm for moving on your NOHO Surf Trainer.

I'm finding that more more I listen to music as I train, fun music with really moving beats like Ride My See-Saw, the looser I get in my movements in my training, which, transfer almost immediately to the water in my next surfing session. It's way cool!!!

I had the idea that the more time I spent on my NOHO Surf Trainer, the more time I could practice my surfing when I'm not in the water, so, while I just washed and dried my dishes, I stood on my Surf Trainer while dancing to music. It was great. And, the funny thing was, after I finished with the dishes and got off my board, it was truly amazing how "heavy" the floor felt. You know that feeling when you're in the water for a few hours, maybe 3 or 4, and you get out and all of a sudden, it's like gravity really hits you and your mind is nearly blown as you find you can barely move. Well, my training while washing the dishes was just like that, not because of the bouyancy of water and decreasing of gravity, but instead, because of being light on my feet on the board.

Now it's got me thinking of lugging my NOHO Surf Trainer all over my house as I do my different chores during the day. Laundry. Making the bed. Cooking. Washing dishes. Sweeping - this will be a fun one because of the added movement!!! I can hardly wait.

I'm finding that the more I'm on my NOHO Surf Trainer at home, and, the more time I'm on my surfboard in the water, simply being, moving, as I'd normally move, the more being on my board is becoming natural. And, the more natural my movements become on my board, the smoother and more beautiful my surfing becomes, and, with that, it allows me to be more receptive to the power and beauty and lessons of the ocean, which, is one of the things we all seek in surfing.

Such loose movments have me thinking of exploring tandem surfing. Granted, most of us see tandem surfing as an antiquated art, but, why not revive it? Just think what it could teach us about how we move with another person, and therefore, how we can move receptively with the waves. I think that such surfing would dramatically increase our skill as we surf, and, it'd be loads of fun!!!
 

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment