Wednesday, February 17, 2010

NOHO Surf Trainer Workout: SUP, Pop UPs, Rail Grabs, Drop Knee Cutbacks, Cross-Stepping, and lots of lay down Paddling

Aloha Tribe,

So, today I'm at home, at least for the moment. Perhaps I can get to the water later. Most certainly, for the full weekend coming up. :)

This morning, I've been doing some fun training.

I set up my NOHO Surf Trainer on my 9 foot Robert August What I Ride Longboard and got to work. I began by using my 6 foot Kahuna Big Stick to represent SUP (Stand Up Paddleboarding).  The Kahuna Big Stick is about the right length and weight to simulate a real paddle. It  was great. I got the idea from Laird Hamiltons' awesome book Force of Nature. So, I did SUP for about a half hour or so.

Then, I did my first half hour session of my typical hour and a half session of Pop Ups on my NOHO Surf Trainer. Basically, I'd lay on the board and paddle for 50 strokes, then, I'd Pup Up. Once I was up, I'd Cross Step the length of the board, Hang Ten, Cross Step back, and drop to a Prone Out then do the sequence again, interespersed with periodic bursts of repetitive Pop UPs, just for fun.

Next, I practiced a combination of Drop Knee Cutbacks on my NOHO Surf Trainer to work my legs a bit, and also Rail Grabs in various combinations, to add more leg work from deep squats all the way down to the board.

I planned to try  some Nose 360's and Tail 360's outdoors but it's 28 F outside. So, I opted to stay in. I don't have enough room in my Surfing Room to spin my longboard so I'll have to do them outside on a warmer day.

Intead of the 360's, I did more Pop UPs  and lots more  lay down Paddling.

So far, it's been a pretty awesome workout.

Now, I'll do another 1000 crunches on my NOHO Surf Trainer. It's fun to do them this way because it adds a strong core stability training to crunches. I'll also put on my fins and do another 1000 flutter kicks, also on my NOHO Surf Trainer to work both my upper and lower abs using both exercises.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment