Thursday, February 11, 2010

NOHO Surf Trainer Training 2 - Duck Diving and Mavericks Paddling

Aloha Tribe,

So, as some of you may have read, I've been having a truly radical time working out with my NOHO Surf Trainer, and, yesterday's awesome workout for several hours got me thinking of tons of new training ideas.

First, and this one is not directly related to the NOHO Surf Trainer, but comes about because I wanted to include it with my NOHO Surf Trainer exercieses, is an exercise I thought of yesterday that I forgot to include. Namely, the Duck Dive.

After all, since I'm practicing Paddling Out with my NOHO Surf Trainer, it only makes sense that including Duck Diving as part of my training needs to be included.

My first thought, of course, was simply to pratice the actual and literal Duck Diving technique of pushing down with my hands on the rails, while keeping my knee and a foot in contact with the tail of the board. And, this of course, worked out perfectly on my NOHO Surf Trainer.

So, next, since I'm a longboard girl, I thought I'd better do it "right," the way you'd really do it with a longboard to get through a wave, so, I held onto the rails of my board and rolled over to about a 45 degree angle, like you'd do with a longboard, and held that position, while holding my breath to simulate being under water, then, I rolled back over. This too worked great the way I did it.

And now, for the part that doesn't really relate. I wanted to include some extra equipment, purely for training purposes, so, I utilized the addition of iron boots (those are those body builder kind of shoes that are sort of an iron sole which straps onto your foot), kettlebells for my hands, and, my 40 pound leather boxing  heavy bag. All of this was for me to further train myself for proper longboard Duck Diving against resistance.

So, at this point, I got off my NOHO Surf Trainer, and moved to a clear section of the floor, and attached the weights onto my feet and also held the kettlebells in my hands and, hugged the heavy bag, then, I simply rolled over to the proper Longboard Duck Dive 45 degree angle while holding my breath, of course, then, I rolled back. And, I simply did this again and again and again to build up strength, muscle memory, and, endurance. It is, I must say, a GREAT calorie burner and workout.

Well, with that idea, I wanted to make my Paddling Out more realistic too, so, I took some rubber stretchy yoga straps and fastened them to some weights in front of my longboard, then, I laid on my longboard, with my NOHO Surf Trainer attached of course, and, I held onto the straps which were attached beyond the nose of my longboard, and, I began paddling from a laying down position.

My first attempt was for a 100 yard Line Up, so I Paddled Out about 20 strokes, while holding onto the elastic straps, which would pull tight each time I drew my arms back while paddling, and, at that point, I got off my NOHO Surf Trainer, went into the other room, and did a longboard Duck Dive with my heavy bag and weights, then, I went right back to Paddling Out on my NOHO Surf Trainer. And I repeated that several times to simulate Paddling Out and Duck Diving under large waves.

At this point, I was having a great time and decided to just get a nice workout, so I continued holding onto the rubber straps while Paddling Out using the NOHO Surf Trainer, and my goal was to paddle for an hour. What I was trying to simulate is that I had read that at Mavericks, sometimes you have to Paddle Out for over an hour to get to the Line Up, if you are unlucky, so, I thought that would be great fun to train that way, just to see if I could paddle that long. To make the Paddle Out more challenging and more in line with what I can only assume Mavericks paddling could be like I used ALL of my rubber cores, to make the resistance the most I could for the Paddle Out.

My workout was brutal. And, I'll probably pay the price tomorrow as I get ready to go surfing over at Westport.  But, it was worth it and I LOVED it. The NOHO Surf Trainer is absolutely everything I could want in a surf trainer and with it, I'm sure I'll get into great surfing shape.

I can so hardly wait for my afternoon session with this incredible piece of training equipment. It'll be fun to see what other moves I can practice on my NOHO Surf Trainer. Ultimately, I'd bet that I could try them all!!!

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment