Friday, October 8, 2010

Portable Home Made Tight Wire Trainer (Tightrope Walking) for Surfing Training

Aloha Tribe,

Today I made a fun piece of training equipment. I built a Tight Wire Trainer for practicing Tightrope Walking.

I got...

1. Two sections of 5 foot long 1 inch diameter steel pipe (to walk on)

2. Four  Tee sections (like a letter T) - used to connect the walking pipe to the base and the base to the legs

3.  Four one foot sections of 1 inch diameter steel pipe (as legs)

and, the following for making various height adjustments...

4. Two two inch connection sections of steel pipe

5. Two 4 inch connection sections of steel pipe

6. Two 6 inch connection sections of steel pipe

7. Two one foot connection sections of steel pipe

Everything  simply screws together in a matter of minutes, so I can take this anywhere such as parks, friends homes, the beach, wherevers. For the most part, it sits on the floor in the Surfing Room of my home so that I can use it anytime day or night.

When I'm not out surfing of course, I've been using a variety of slacklines, slack ropes or soft ropes, swinging poles, and similar things for practicing outdoors (in my yard, by the creek, by the river, in the mountains, in parks, at the beach, and anyplace else I might want to work on my balance. I always, at the very least, have a 50 foot section of 1/2 inch manilla rope in my orange VW Bug wherever I go, so, I'm always able to set up a Soft Rope in a moments notice for training my surfing balance.

But, with this new piece of equipment tonight, I don't have to be concerned about the rain or snow or ice. Granted, the ropes and such can still be set up in them, but, well, it's nice when the weather is intense, to practice inside by a nice warm fire. And, since I live in the middle of the woods, in a swamp, there's mountain lions, bears, bobcats, and similar animals prowling my property all the time, so training inside is a bit safer when it's dark.

One of my favorite places to train is out in the loft above the garage, with a single candle illuminating the room. The double wide barn loft doors swung wide 20 feet above the ground to the open air,

I'm happy with my Tight Wire Trainer. It'll be a great way to practice tightrope walking. Once I get a real wire and all of the rigging, of course, that will be awesomely fun too.

Bodaciously Stoked,

Lily of the Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment